Pasta shells with beans, pork, zuchinni and salsa and pictures with our new Silkie chick

A busy week this week!
Last weekend was my first craft show of the season - the rain held out just until I was leaving. Then I wanted to make these awesome looking pasta shells:Mexican Stuffed Shells 
I've had that recipe pinned for a while. However, my goal is to purge my freezer, and I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand - so I improvised.
I had the pasta shells (my first time using these - the possibilities seem endless!).
I had ground pork instead of beef.
I had salsa - homemade from last year - it turned out a bit runny and very hot so I strained it a bit before pouring the whole 1 litre jar out on the bottom of the pan.
I had cheese - I shredded old cheddar, it was the only type of cheese to survive a purge of past-their-prime cheeses in the cheese drawer.
I had no taco sauce - oh well, I just went without.
I had no cream cheese - these would have been even better with it, but what the heck, I was determined to just use what was on hand - how bad could it be?
I wanted to purge stuff from the freezer that I put up from last year's garden so I used a cup of frozen zucchini and a few cups of frozen green beans.

I fried up the pork and added the green beans and zucchini and fried it a bit more. I added part of a taco seasonings package - I didn't want it overwhelmingly taco-ish. Then I added some of the cheddar.


Meanwhile, I cooked up the shells. I poured the salsa on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Then I stuffed the shells as best I could - it wasn't easy since the green beans were a bit big.


I had to put most of the beans in the salsa on the bottom instead.

I sprinkled on more cheddar and baked it all (covered) at 350 for 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 10.

They didn't look like much, but man, they were pretty tasty! A bit of sour cream on the side helped take the edge off the salsa. Success! I'll try that again with another batch of whatever I have around.

Last weekend my hubby kindly went to a Poultry Show and Sale for me while I was at the craft show. He picked up 3 super tiny and sweet little Silkie chicks.

Kieran claimed one as his and named it Wing Wing Love.

So of course I had to do a chicken photo shoot.




These will be our new pet chickens - check out Silkies online - they are ever so sweet! I named another one Squishy (and you are my Squishy...) and the last one had bent toes I had to splint so it is called Bento.


Comments

Popular Posts